Cooper, White & Cooper LLP is a firm with offices in San Francisco and Walnut Creek, California. Founded in 1896, Cooper’s practice has expanded over its 100+ year history to provide comprehensive representation in most areas of business law and civil trial practice. Cooper’s principal commitment is personal service and dedication to clients. We offer independent professional counsel and zealous representation by lawyers with integrity who learn their clients and industries. Our attorneys work across practice specialties, and in most instances one partner is responsible for all of the legal work for a client. Whether a small business or a large corporation, each client is important to Cooper, and we pride ourselves on providing effective legal representation at a competitive cost.
Cooper, White & Cooper LLP was founded in 1896 by Edwin T. Cooper. Mr. Cooper was born in England in 1875, educated at the University of London and Hastings College of the Law, and admitted to the California Bar in May, 1896. Initially located in San Francisco at the Crocker Building at Post, Montgomery and Market Streets, Mr. Cooper represented contractors, manufacturers and maritime interests.
In the 1920s, Mr. Cooper formed a partnership with Charles T. White, who had joined him as a law student in 1914. The Firm was known as Cooper & White until 1933, when it changed its name to Cooper, White & Cooper. Sheldon G. Cooper, Mr. Cooper’s son, had joined the firm in 1930 after graduating from the University of California at Berkeley and Harvard Law School. Edwin and Sheldon Cooper practiced with the Firm until their deaths in 1960 and 1990, respectively. Mr. White died in 1934.
In the 1950s, three lawyers who would have a significant impact upon the Firm’s growth and development joined Cooper. Robert M. Raymer, a graduate of the Harvard Law School, began his practice with the Firm in 1950. John E. Schaeffer and William J. Dowling, Jr., graduates of the University of San Francisco Law School, joined Cooper in 1955 and 1956, respectively. All three were instrumental in expanding the Firm’s wide range of services to longstanding clients such as Metropolitan Stevedore Company, Continental Air Lines, The Chronicle Publishing Company, San Francisco Newspaper Agency, and Roseville Telephone Company.
Cooper’s expansion continued in the following decades, growing to approximately 20 attorneys by 1970, 40 attorneys by 1980, and 60 attorneys in its centennial year, 1996. Cooper, White & Cooper’s Walnut Creek office opened in 1989. Cooper now serves a broad spectrum of clients in leading industries including telecommunications, publishing, television, aviation, healthcare, high technology, commercial finance, marine transportation, real estate, construction, homebuilding, manufacturing, sales, services, retail, restaurants, hospitality, nonprofit organizations, and tourism.
Cooper values the perspectives that workforce diversity brings to our firm. We actively promote workplace diversity, and are committed to equal opportunity and to creating an environment of mutual respect, tolerance, and inclusion. Women, minority and openly LGBT lawyers currently serve or have served in important leadership positions within the firm. The firm is also an active member of the California Minority Counsel Program.
Community Outreach & Pro Bono
Community involvement and outreach is a top priority at Cooper. Cooper attorneys and employees regularly devote time and resources to non-profit organizations around the San Francisco Bay Area. Cooper attorneys also volunteer and provide pro-bono legal services for a variety of legal clinics and public interest organizations. For more information on Cooper’s community outreach and pro-bono legal services, please contact us.