Jill Rowe is an experienced business trial lawyer with an emphasis in commercial real estate, contract and fraud disputes. She represents companies in a variety of industries, including nationally recognized real estate brokerage and investment firms, a leading pharmaceutical distributor, award winning wineries, and the country’s largest petroleum pipeline owner. Jill resolves disputes from a position of preparedness and strength, and this philosophy drives her commitment to finding creative and cost-effective solutions to all of her clients’ legal challenges. Jill chairs Cooper, White & Cooper’s litigation department and serves on its Management Committee.
Activities and Awards
- San Francisco Elections Commissioner. (2011-2019) As a Commissioner, Jill works to ensure free, fair and functional elections for all San Francisco voters. She was appointed to the Commission by San Francisco Public Defender Jeff Adachi. She has served two terms as the Commission’s President, one term as its Vice President and several terms on its budget committee.
- Martindale-Hubbel Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. Jill is among the fewer than 5% of women lawyers recognized with an AV preeminent rating. The Judiciary and Jill’s peers have honored her with this AV preeminent rating, the highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards.
- 2014 – present. Super Lawyer, an award limited to no more than five percent of lawyers within California. The award is based on peer nominations and evaluations, and independent research.
- Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award, Volunteer Legal Services Program’s Housing Negotiation Project, where she helped San Francisco tenants facing eviction.
Some Notable Client Results
- Achieved full exoneration of commercial real estate broker clients accused of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. After a four day arbitration hearing, the arbitrator awarded Jill’s clients a reimbursement of their attorneys’ fees and costs. (2019)
- Won defense judgment, after court trial, in favor of restaurant accused of breach of contract and interference with economic advantage. (2019)
- Favorably resolved lawsuit that accused attorneys of breaching their fiduciary duties. (2019)
- Convinced trial court to dismiss breach of contract and negligence claims against pipeline owner, and successfully defended the dismissal on appeal. (2018)
- Attained complete defense award in favor of telecommunications client accused of violating telecommunications and privacy laws. (2018)
- Obtained full recovery of all amounts due to financial institution following borrower’s breach of factoring agreement. (2018)
- Won defense judgment in favor of real estate private equity firm sued for interference with contract (2017).
- Won quiet title action and million dollar judgment in favor of defrauded commercial real estate owner (2017).
- Won motion to dismiss litigation against real estate broker client accused of fraud and breach of contract in commercial leasing transaction (2016).
- Obtained complete dismissal of shareholder lawsuit against public company client accused of inadequate shareholder distributions (2016).
- Obtained prompt and favorable settlement of unlawful detainer lawsuit on behalf of commercial landlord whose Silicon Valley tenant had engaged in unlawful subletting (2015).
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit on behalf of technology client sued by former partner for alleged breach of separation contract (2015).
- Won arbitration of breach of contract claim on behalf of real estate broker, including full recovery of all damages and attorney fees (2014).
- Won bench trial and defended client’s assets against claim of putative marriage by former girlfriend (2014).
- Won complete defense judgment for bulk liquids terminal accused of environmental contamination (2014).
- Obtained large recovery for pension fund client on securities lending claim against national bank (2013).
- Obtained large settlement for investor against securities brokerage firm (2013).
- Won complete dismissal of fraud claim against real estate broker after having plaintiff declared a vexatious litigant in both state and federal courts, and successfully defended the dismissal in both the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (2012).
- Obtained complete dismissal and recovery of attorney fees on behalf of real estate owner sued for fraud in connection with the sale of commercial property (2011).
- Prevailed in federal court following successful motion to dismiss, in case alleging breach of contract in connection with commercial property mortgage brokerage (2011).
- Won judgment in favor of employer accused of sexual harassment and discrimination (2010).
- Won complete defense award for client accused of real estate fraud following seven day arbitration (2009).
- Obtained favorable settlement in trademark infringement case on behalf of award winning winery (2008).
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for national distributor on breach of contract claim (2007).
Before joining Cooper in 1999, Jill worked as in-house counsel for a Fortune 100 company, where she handled mergers and acquisitions, employment and general corporate matters. She received her juris doctorate with honors from the University of Washington School of Law, and graduated summa cum laude from the University of San Diego with a bachelor’s degree in political science.