Jill Rowe is an experienced business trial lawyer with an emphasis in real estate, contract, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud disputes. She represents companies in a variety of industries, including nationally recognized real estate brokerage and investment firms, a leading pharmaceutical distributor, award winning wineries, and the country’s largest petroleum pipeline owner. Ms. Rowe believes that disputes are best resolved from positions of preparedness and strength, and this philosophy drives her commitment to finding creative and cost-effective solutions to all of her clients’ legal challenges. Ms. Rowe chairs Cooper, White & Cooper’s litigation department.
Activities and Awards
- Commissioner and past President of the San Francisco Elections Commission, which supervises and sets general policies for the Department of Elections and works to ensure free, fair and functional elections for all San Francisco voters.
- Martindale-Hubbel Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers. Ms. Rowe is among the fewer than 5% of women lawyers recognized with an AV preeminent peer review rating for professional ability and ethical standards.
- 2014 – 2018 Super Lawyer, an award limited to no more than five percent of lawyers within California. The award is based on peer nominations and evaluations, and independent research.
- Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award, Volunteer Legal Services Program’s Housing Negotiation Project, where she helped San Francisco tenants facing eviction.
Some Notable Client Results
- Won defense judgment in favor of real estate private equity firm sued for interference with contract (2017).
- Won quiet title action and million dollar judgment in favor of defrauded commercial real estate owner (2017).
- Won motion to dismiss litigation against real estate broker client accused of fraud and breach of contract in commercial leasing transaction (2016).
- Obtained complete dismissal of shareholder lawsuit against public company client accused of inadequate shareholder distributions (2016).
- Obtained prompt and favorable settlement of unlawful detainer lawsuit on behalf of commercial landlord whose Silicon Valley tenant had engaged in unlawful subletting (2015).
- Successfully settled citizens’ suit under the federal Clean Water Act alleging that manufacturing client committed storm water violations (2015).
- Obtained complete dismissal of lawsuit accusing commercial real estate broker client of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. Using prompt factual investigation and legal argument, convinced plaintiffs and their attorney to dismiss broker with no payment and no appearance in the lawsuit (2015).
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of lawsuit on behalf of technology client sued by former partner for alleged breach of separation contract (2015).
- Won arbitration of breach of contract claim on behalf of real estate broker, including full recovery of all damages and attorney fees (2014).
- Won bench trial and defended client’s assets against claim of putative marriage by former girlfriend (2014).
- Won complete defense judgment for bulk liquids terminal accused of environmental contamination (2014).
- Obtained large recovery for pension fund client on securities lending claim against national bank (2013).
- Obtained large settlement for investor against securities brokerage firm (2013).
- Won complete dismissal of fraud claim against real estate broker after having plaintiff declared a vexatious litigant in both state and federal courts, and successfully defended the dismissal in both the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (2012).
- Obtained complete dismissal and recovery of attorney fees on behalf of real estate owner sued for fraud in connection with the sale of commercial property (2011).
- Prevailed in federal court following successful motion to dismiss, in case alleging breach of contract in connection with commercial property mortgage brokerage (2011).
- Won judgment in favor of employer accused of sexual harassment and discrimination (2010).
- Won complete defense award for client accused of real estate fraud following seven day arbitration (2009).
- Obtained favorable settlement in trademark infringement case on behalf of award winning winery (2008).
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for national distributor on breach of contract claim (2007).
- Successful defense, through a six-week trial, of a nationally prominent real estate brokerage firm, for alleged intentional fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty, and unfair competition (2007).
- Successfully defended over a two-year period the nation’s largest petroleum pipeline owner in 24 personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits, including cases involving five deaths and four serious burns arising out of a fire and explosion that occurred on a high pressure petroleum line (2006-2007).
Before joining Cooper in 1999, Ms. Rowe worked as in-house counsel for a Fortune 500 company, where she handled mergers and acquisitions, employment and general corporate matters. She received her juris doctorate with honors from the University of Washington School of Law, and graduated summa cum laude from the University of San Diego with a bachelor’s degree in political science.