Cooper, White & Cooper LLP attorneys Richard Collier, Kenneth Goodin, Keith Howard, Stephen Kaus, Peter Muhs, William Norman, and Mark Tuft were recently recognized as “Northern California Super Lawyers 2010.” In addition, Jamie Chou was included in a list of Rising Stars of area lawyers.
- Richard Collier, Estate and Trust Litigation: With over thirty years of trial experience, Mr. Collier’s practice focuses on fiduciary duty issues in trust and probate litigation, representing trustees, both individual and institutional, and beneficiaries. Mr. Collier is also an experienced mediator, having handled a wide variety of business, insurance, professional liability, and trust disputes. He is Immediate Past President of the Mediation Society of San Francisco and serves on the Board of the California Dispute Resolution Council.
- Kenneth Goodin, Estate Planning and Probate: Mr. Goodin is a board certified specialist in Estate Planning and Probate, and is a member of the firm’s Wealth Management Group. His practice includes the design and implementation of estate tax “freezing,” valuation reduction techniques, revocable and irrevocable trusts, trusts for minors, life insurance trusts, family partnerships, personal residence trusts, various forms of family and charitable gifts, trust administration, business succession planning, and the design, documentation and administration of ERISA qualified retirement plans.
- Keith Howard, Environmental: Mr. Howard is a business lawyer in the firm’s Walnut Creek office. Mr. Howard’s practice includes representation of corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships as general outside counsel on a wide variety of legal matters. He has extensive experience representing industry, landowners, developers, and individuals in environmental regulatory proceedings. The scope of his services also includes estate planning.
- Stephen Kaus, Business Litigation: Mr. Kaus is chair of the firm’s Litigation Department. He handles complex civil and criminal matters, including class actions and multi-district litigation. He has tried approximately fifty matters to verdict. Mr. Kaus has represented clients recently in cases involving intellectual property issues, employment law, construction law, antitrust law, real property law, and taxation matters.
- Peter Muhs, Estate Planning and Probate: Mr. Muhs is a California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization certified specialist in probate, estate planning, and trust law. Since 1974, Mr. Muhs has engaged principally in estate planning, trusts, and probate activities and in related tax-oriented counseling for individual clients. He also handles the establishment and maintenance of conservatorships and guardianships and consults on the prosecution and defense of probate-related litigation.
- William Norman, Business Litigation: Mr. Norman is an experienced business trial lawyer with an emphasis in real property, wrongful termination, trade secret, professional liability and partnership/LLC disputes (including minority rights and dissolution), petroleum pipeline safety issues, and chairs the firm’s Financial Crisis Group. He has tried over 65 lawsuits to successful conclusions, the majority of them jury trials, with the result that he has been elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Mark Tuft, Professional Liability – Defense: Mr. Tuft is principally engaged in professional liability, business and criminal litigation in federal and state courts. His trial experience includes insurance coverage disputes, newspaper antitrust litigation, media, defamation and related first amendment litigation, real estate, corporate securities, and defense of businesses and individuals in criminal litigation. He serves legal ethics counsel to individuals and law firms on matters of professional responsibility and practice management.
- Jamie Chou, Business/Corporate: Ms. Chou handles a wide range of corporate and transactional matters as well as commercial litigation in state and federal court. Her practice focuses on the acquisition, management, operation and sale of businesses, as well as media and telecommunications law, IP, and real estate with an emphasis on serving clients in cable and broadcast television, communications, media, transportation, maritime cargo, service, healthcare and technology industries.
The independent research firm Law & Politics describes the list as a “comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding attorneys in Northern California representing a wide range of practice areas, firm sizes and geographic locations. Five percent of the lawyers in Northern California are named Super Lawyers.”