Cooper’s Energy Group is made up of lawyers who regularly represent clients in the energy industry. Our lawyers have in-depth experience in the key disciplines relevant to the energy industry, including environmental law, regulatory law, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, emergency response, health and safety, employment, toxic torts, criminal and appellate work, and focus on the following areas:
- Corporate Law: Antitrust and trade regulation, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, partnerships and joint ventures, taxation, bankruptcy and securities. For further information on our Corporate & Securities Practice, click here.
- Environmental Litigation, Compliance and Due Diligence: Permitting, auditing, hazardous material handling, transportation, disposal and cleanups, oil spills, California’s Prop 65 (enforcement and compliance), RCRA, CERCLA, OSHA, air and water release counseling and litigation, including remediation cost recovery, natural resource damage claims, economic damage and criminal and civil penalty actions. For further information on our Environmental Practice, click here.
- Insurance: Insurance coverage and defense for a variety of claims; insurance coverage for claims relating to environmental contamination and related damages. For further information on our Insurance Practice, click here.
- Labor and Employment Law: Employment arrangements, wrongful discharge, equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, federal contract compliance, personnel policies, employee handbooks, government wage requirements, communication monitoring policies and union relationships. For further information on our Labor & Employment Practice, click here.
- Litigation: We regularly represent energy interests in high-stakes complex litigation of all kinds, including toxic tort, personal injury, wrongful death, environmental claims, intellectual property claims, contract disputes and oil spills. For further information on our Litigation Practice, click here.
- Pipeline Safety: Cooper lawyers have extensive experience representing clients in virtually all aspects of oil and gas pipeline law and safety, including catastrophic accidents, oil spills, safety training, state and federal regulatory actions and litigation.
- Project Development: Cooper’s attorneys represent developers and other parties, including buyers and sellers, in connection with the development of energy infrastructure projects of all kinds, including refinery expansions and project-related litigation.
- Real Estate and Land Use: Acquisition, development, hazardous waste management, zoning and local government approvals, and purchases and sales of remediated and distressed property. For more information on our Real Estate Practice, click here.
- Regulatory Compliance and Negotiations: Participation in major federal and state regulatory proceedings involving generators, petroleum product and natural gas suppliers, including proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission, negotiating power purchase agreements, determination of qualifications for tax incentives, credits or special rates.
- California Air Resources Board Approves Amendments to California’s Climate Change Cap-and-Trade Regulation and Adds New Carbon Offset Protocol April 29, 2014
- California Public Utilities Commission Meeting Summary – August 18, 2011 August 24, 2011
- California Public Utilities Commission Meeting Summary – July 14, 2011 July 18, 2011
- California Public Utilities Commission Meeting Summary – June 23, 2011 July 1, 2011
- Smart Meters, Home Monitoring and Privacy at the CPUC June 23, 2011
- California Public Utilities Commission Meeting Summary – June 9, 2011 June 17, 2011
- California Public Utilities Commission Meeting Summary – April 14, 2011 April 19, 2011
- California Public Utilities Commission Meeting Summary – March 24, 2011 March 26, 2011
- The Coming San Bruno Explosion Litigation: Some Lessons Learned from Past Explosion Cases September 13, 2010
- Schwarzenegger Raises RPS Requirement to 33% by 2020 October 6, 2009
Energy Cooper News
- Final Clean Power Plan Decision Unlikely During Obama Term July 24, 2015
- 7 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers September 6, 2013
- CWC Client Fortistar in the Spotlight at Miramar Energy Commercial Operation Ceremony July 10, 2012
- CWC Client Fortistar Announces Commercial Operation of New Landfill Energy Facility in Virginia May 17, 2012
- Cooper, White & Cooper LLP Will Host Delegates from Lawyers Associated Worldwide March 24, 2012
- Kristen Thall Peters Joins Firm Management Committee February 1, 2012
- CWC Client Fortistar Announces New LFG Projects in Virginia and North Carolina March 8, 2011
- 8 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers August 5, 2010
- Six Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers July 28, 2009
- Cooper, White & Cooper LLP Joins Lawyers Associated Worldwide April 18, 2009
- Jamie Chou and Patrick Rosvall Become Partners of the Firm January 15, 2008
Energy Legal News
- California Low Carbon Fuel Standard Case Heard by Ninth Circuit November 7, 2012