Cooper represents industry, landowners, and developers in administrative proceedings and civil litigation throughout the State of California, and has performed environmental compliance counseling and due diligence investigations for clients nationally. Cooper attorneys are involved in cutting edge environmental issues including greenhouse gas regulation and CEQA compliance. Some of our particular areas of environmental expertise include:
- Air & Water Pollution. Our environmental lawyers represent clients in permitting matters, enforcement actions, and various proceedings before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (Region IX), the California Air Resources Board, the State Water Resources Control Board, regional water quality control boards and various local air quality management districts.
- Hazardous Waste & Materials, Underground Storage Tanks. Our lawyers provide compliance counseling and defend enforcement actions regarding California’s Proposition 65, the handling, storage and labeling of hazardous wastes and materials, and advise clients regarding underground storage tank removal and cleanup requirements.
- Land Use and CEQA. Our lawyers assist clients in proposed development projects and facility expansions such as the implementation of a Clean Fuels Project for a major refining company and the acquisition of rights-of-way for telecommunication companies. They also represent clients before city and county boards and agencies regarding a wide variety of proposed development projects, and in a wide range of entitlement, CEQA and zoning matters.
- Real Property Transfers. Our lawyers counsel clients regarding real property investigations, the development of environmental indemnity language in property transfer agreements, and the environmental implications of mergers and acquisitions of businesses, commercial and industrial property acquisitions, transfers and leases.
- Natural Resources / Wildlife. Our lawyers often represent clients in natural resource damage assessments and state and federal wildlife protection statutes, including wetlands and endangered species issues.
- Emergency Response. Our lawyers have extensive experience in assisting clients in the aftermath of petroleum and hazardous substance releases. They assist with investigations, remediation activities, civil and criminal enforcement proceedings and third party damage claims. They are included on a number of our client’s emergency response teams.
- California’s Proposition 65 Warning Regulations Have Been Revised September 21, 2016
- OSHA “Nudges” Employers With Revised Injury and Illness Recordkeeping Rules May 13, 2016
- How Green Are Your Products? The FTC Scrutinizes Marketing Claims April 30, 2014
- California Air Resources Board Approves Amendments to California’s Climate Change Cap-and-Trade Regulation and Adds New Carbon Offset Protocol April 29, 2014
- Hoping for Prop 65 Reform? Be Careful What You Wish For! March 27, 2014
- California’s “Green Chemistry” Regulations Take Effect November 8, 2013
- Port Tenant Not Property “Owner” With Federal Environmental Liability March 25, 2011
- The Coming San Bruno Explosion Litigation: Some Lessons Learned from Past Explosion Cases September 13, 2010
- Schwarzenegger Raises RPS Requirement to 33% by 2020 October 6, 2009
Environmental Cooper News
- Cooper, White & Cooper Included Among 2021 “Best Law Firms” November 16, 2020
- Edward Seidel Elected Partner of the Firm January 17, 2020
- Cooper, White & Cooper Included Among 2020 “Best Law Firms” November 2, 2019
- US News and World Report and Best Lawyers Include Cooper, White & Cooper in 2018 Best Law Firms List November 1, 2017
- US News and World Report and Best Lawyers Include Cooper, White & Cooper in 2017 Best Law Firms List November 1, 2016
- Final Clean Power Plan Decision Unlikely During Obama Term July 24, 2015
- Three Partners Join Cooper, White & Cooper LLP January 31, 2014
- 7 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers September 6, 2013
- Five Cooper Attorneys Selected for 2013 Edition of “The Best Lawyers in America” August 29, 2012
- 6 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers July 23, 2012
- Keith M. Casto Joins Cooper, White & Cooper LLP July 19, 2012
- Kristen Thall Peters Joins Firm Management Committee February 1, 2012
- 6 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers August 5, 2011
- 8 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers August 5, 2010
- Six Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers July 28, 2009
- Cooper, White & Cooper LLP Joins Lawyers Associated Worldwide April 18, 2009
- Kristen Thall Peters Elected to Contra Costa County Bar Association’s 2008 Board of Directors January 14, 2008
- Seven Cooper Attorneys Named as Northern California Super Lawyers in San Francisco Magazine July 26, 2007
- Cooper Announces Strategic Alliance with Coombs and Dunlap September 6, 2005
Environmental Legal News
- California Low Carbon Fuel Standard Case Heard by Ninth Circuit November 7, 2012