Cooper’s Green Practice group draws on the firm’s depth of talent and expertise in environmental, land use, real estate, and construction law. Members of this practice group counsel companies on compliance with sustainable business practices, including global climate change, greenhouse gas emissions, renewable energy, green building, development, leasing, operation and management of sustainable projects, regulatory compliance, government relations and public policy formation, and litigation.
- Green Building and Renovation. Selection and navigation of green building rating systems and guidelines and compliance with sustainable building mandates for public and private works projects. Contract negotiation and drafting for all phases of development, including land acquisition, development agreements, subcontracts and sale documents. Development and implementation of risk management strategies and advocacy of client interests in the event that a dispute arises concerning design, construction, certification, operation or purchase and sale of a green project.
- Leasing, Operation and Management of Sustainable Projects. Representing owners, operators, and property managers of sustainable projects including improvement districts, common interest agreements, leasing, compliance, land use, tax, and real estate issues.
- Renewable Energy. Representing owners and operators of renewable energy sources, including solar and landfill gas, regarding environmental, land use, real estate, power and energy, environmental and capacity attributes, corporate, and tax issues.
- Waste Reduction. Compliance counseling and monitoring regarding air and water quality, hazardous substances, flow control/trash disposal, e-waste, deconstruction, and recycling.
- Global Climate Change. Developing corporate environmental compliance programs and impact evaluation, including mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions for existing and proposed operations, and purchase and sale of environmental attributes and emissions trading.
- Regulatory Compliance. Counseling and assisting clients in complying with environmental statutes and regulations, including the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and its federal counterpart, the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, Proposition 65 and California’s greenhouse gas statute, AB 32.
- Government Relations and Public Policy Formation. Advocacy and monitoring on behalf of clients of developing regulations and legislation at national, state and local levels.
- Litigation. Extensive experience in advocating client interests and resolving disputes through negotiation, alternative dispute resolution and court action.
- Clean Technology. Representing a diverse range of companies with products, services and processes that harness renewable materials and energy sources, reduce or eliminate pollution or toxic wastes, and reduce the use of natural resources in all areas including venture capital, financing, marketing and permitting.
- California’s Proposition 65 Warning Regulations Have Been Revised September 21, 2016
- How Green Are Your Products? The FTC Scrutinizes Marketing Claims April 30, 2014
- Hoping for Prop 65 Reform? Be Careful What You Wish For! March 27, 2014
- California’s “Green Chemistry” Regulations Take Effect November 8, 2013
- Air Quality Management District Rail Rules Preempted October 19, 2010
- Indirect-Source Pollution Fee Valid as Recovering Costs of Regulation October 20, 2009
- Schwarzenegger Raises RPS Requirement to 33% by 2020 October 6, 2009
Green Cooper News
- Final Clean Power Plan Decision Unlikely During Obama Term July 24, 2015
- 6 Cooper Attorneys Named Northern California Super Lawyers July 23, 2012
- Keith M. Casto Joins Cooper, White & Cooper LLP July 19, 2012
- CWC Client Fortistar Announces Commercial Operation of New Landfill Energy Facility in Virginia May 17, 2012
- Cooper, White & Cooper LLP Will Host Delegates from Lawyers Associated Worldwide March 24, 2012
- Kristen Thall Peters Joins Firm Management Committee February 1, 2012
- CWC Client Fortistar Announces New LFG Projects in Virginia and North Carolina March 8, 2011
- Kristen Thall Peters and Cyrus Wadia “Green” Articles Featured in Contra Costa Lawyer Magazine February 8, 2011
- Kristen Thall Peters Speaks on Green Building April 27, 2010
- Cooper, White & Cooper LLP Joins Lawyers Associated Worldwide April 18, 2009
- Green Practice Group Co-Chair Profiled as “Leading Lawyer” in Environmental Law December 7, 2007
- Cooper, White & Cooper LLP Formalizes Green Practice July 2, 2007
Green Legal News
- Clean and Green Shipping News May 1, 2008